It’s been a month or three since I was utterly fed up with comment spam on my blog. Sure, I did turn on comment moderation so you, as a visitor, would not notice this spam if I did not approve it as a valid comment. However, I found myself cleaning up comment spam from in between legitimate comments in the BlogEngine.NET admin interface.
In an effort of trying to reduce comment spam, I tried the following:
Luckily, the latest version of BlogEngine.NET (and also earlier version if you go down the hacky road) featured a new comment system, including spam filtering. After using it for a few months, I must say I’m very close to zero comment spam!
I have configured BlogEngine.NET as follows:
Now if you look at the results, there’s an interesting difference between the spam filter services being used:
The accuracy of the spam filters is mostly > 90%, for Akismet it’s even 97.30 %. Which I also feel: a small check every week on whether there are spam filter mistakes is quite enough. Only the TypePadFilter is letting me down there, and I will probably disable this one and rely on only two filters.
This is an imported post. It was imported from my old blog using an automated tool and may contain formatting errors and/or broken images.